Friday, January 6, 2012

My Southern Living Challenge! Recipe #1

Southern Living's Best of 2011
January

I always look forward to the tradition of black-eyed peas on New Years Day since I'm a "believer" that good luck will come my way all year.  I usually enjoy the more traditional recipe of a hot side dish prepared with a ham hock. But this year I decided to step outside the box and try Southern Livings recipe posted as one of their picks for January's best. The recipe known as Lucky Black-eyed Pea Salad, is a cold twist on the traditional dish and is light, flavorful and an easy dish excellent for any day of the year, not to mention a great kick-off to a healthy year.  This recipe is an great vegetarian side dish or could easily be transformed to a main performer by adding grilled seafood, chicken or steak on top!   

Get the recipe, you will love this one!  




I also tested with defrosted frozen peaches and you could not tell any difference.


Making the dressing for the salad, the combo of pepper jelly and cilantro is delicious.

 Sweet red peppers and spicy red onion make the dish burst with flavor.

Suggested that you let marinate for at least 8 hrs, but even better if overnight.

 Add the peaches and watercress prior to serving, I garnished with fresh avocado slices.

Enjoy!!



Gratefully,
Deborah...xo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You already made my day by visiting my blog, now tell me what is on your mind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...