Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My Southern Living Challenge! Recipe #6

 

Southern Living's Best of 2011
February


They say "timing is everything" and this final recipe for February was no exception. I always try to schedule these challenges when my husband is in town from work so that we can enjoy the experience together. On this weekend, my husband was not feeling well and our weather turned rainy and cold. So the Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie was just what the doctor ordered. 

Here is the link to the recipe:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/double-crust-chicken-pot-pie-50400000109951/ 

I did have to change it up and added mixed vegetables instead of leeks. I knew my husband would enjoy the more traditional version.

Here is how I did it:


I purchased a Rotisserie Chicken, pick your battles and without compromising the recipe take shortcuts when you can. 

Sauteed one small onion in the butter, I couldn't find the onion/pepper hash browns called for in the recipe. 

Slowly added the flour, makes a roux. Do not walk away, keep stirring not to burn the butter and flour.


Add the chicken stock while stirring, you want a saucy texture so if needed add a little more stock. I had to add a tad more to get the consistency I wanted. 

Added the chopped chicken, frozen hash browns and frozen mixed veggies (16oz bag).

 Blend all ingredients

Add the fresh parsley

Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured board and rolling pin.

I had a square deep dish plate so I added the pastry in opposite directions in the pan instead of the traditional round crimped edges.

Add the chicken mixture.


Folded over the pastry and crimped the edges, brush with the egg wash.

Baked and golden brown.


It's flaky crust and creamy filling makes this recipe a "must do" for your family!


Enjoy!!



Gratefully,
Deborah...xo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You already made my day by visiting my blog, now tell me what is on your mind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...