Monday, February 13, 2012

Your Place or Mine?






Bell Peppers stuffed with Shrimp Rice Dressing in a light lemon butter sauce:



If you have been following my blog for a while than you already know that many things impressed me about my Mom. It use to amaze me that she would look in the fridge, pull out various leftovers and transformed them into a whole new delicious meal. There were no recipes to follow just thought up in her head. When I cook I rarely have leftovers. That is unless I am making a casserole, jambalaya or gumbo than we love having leftovers. 

My husband came home with two beautiful green bell peppers the other day and I thought immediately that they needed to be stuffed. I usually make a ground meat or seafood stuffing and a red sauce. But when I looked in the fridge and freezer yesterday all I saw was leftover rice from gumbo and a bag of small Louisiana shrimp that I had purchased for shrimp pasta. I had contractors at the house and couldn't go to the store and thought "I can do this"...don't panic!

So instead of my traditional stuffing for the peppers I decided to use the rice as my base and add the shrimp for seafood peppers. Then instead of a red sauce, I thought just butter and fresh lemon sounded light and delicious. I mean...peppers, shrimp, rice, butter and lemon...what could be bad about that??


This is what I used:

(2) Large Bell Peppers
1 1/2 cups small raw shrimp (I used Louisiana shrimp, look for Gulf shrimp)
Fresh lemons
2 cups of cooked rice
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp. of butter ( I don't use real butter, I use I can't believe...)
1 cup of seasoning blend (fresh or frozen chopped onion, bell pepper, celery)
1/2 cup of seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
1/4-1/2 tsp. Creole seasoning

This is what I did:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees


Par-boil peppers in boiling water for 5 mins. Saute the seasoning blend in butter while the peppers are boiling.

Combine ingredients in a bowl and stir together.

Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. Stuff pepper halves with mixture, top with a slice of lemon, butter and sprinkle with Creole seasoning. Squeeze 1/2 a lemon in the pan, add 1/4 cup of butter. The butter and lemon will cook in pan with peppers and create a light sauce. Bake at 350 for 30 mins. 

I served with my hubby's favorite...peas and a simple green salad.


Enjoy!



Gratefully,
Deborah...xo! 






   

No comments:

Post a Comment

You already made my day by visiting my blog, now tell me what is on your mind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...