Sunday, January 16, 2011

Your Place or Mine?...and a special birthday!




This week's post is a special one as we celebrated JT's birthday at home with family. I planned the menu around some of his favorite dishes but prepared them as more of a casual atmosphere. In addition to the menu, I made a special video for JT. It includes his childhood love of fishing along with his current "pa-doo's" (a word my husband uses to describe his friends)....enjoy!

The Menu:

Antipasto Skewers
Pecan Stuffed Mushrooms
Cajun Filet Sliders
Olive Oil & Rosemary French Fries
Blackberry-Apple Upside Down Cake


Antipasto Skewers

Alternate Peperoncini peppers, grape tomatoes, canned quartered artichoke hearts, mozzarella squares wrapped with Genoa salami and kalamata olives on a wood skewer. Place in plastic bag, pour a balsamic-vinaigrette dressing over skewers and let marinate for at least 8 hours.

Cajun Filet Sliders

Grill a beef tenderloin filet to medium rare. Let sit for 5 minutes then slice thinly. Saute small cocktail shrimp in a little butter and chopped green onion, put aside. Prepare sauce by combining mayonnaise, A-1 steak sauce, creole mustard and ketchup. Spread the sauce on each half of the small rolls. Stack sliced steak on each bottom half of roll, top with 2 small shrimp, then top shrimp with small slice of provolone cheese. Wrap sandwiches in foil and heat till cheese melts. I had a small pint of oysters in the fridge so I fried them off with Louisiana fish fry and stuck an oyster on top of each sandwich with a toothpick for added presentation. You could also put the fried oyster in the bun with the shrimp. I served with Alexia's Olive Oil, Rosemary and Garlic steak fries right from the freezer section in the grocery store! 

   Blackberry-Apple Upside Down Cake

This cake recipe is straight from Southern Living recipes on-line. JT loves blackberries and apples so I thought what I great combo for his birthday cake. It is an easy recipe, and would be excellent for a breakfast or brunch cake. I used frozen blackberries, they were huge, fresh, gorgeous and way more affordable! But keep them frozen till you put them in the batter!! I added a little dollop of Cool Whip on each slice...Yum!

Click on the link below and get the entire recipe:



 The Birthday Boy!  


Gratefully,

Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment

You already made my day by visiting my blog, now tell me what is on your mind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...